This period revival home exhibits many of the style’s primary characteristics, including a dominant front-facing gabled entry; multiple-light, leaded-glass windows; stone, brick or stucco gabled roofs; and a dominant chimney.  It is an Americanized example of the style, which simply means it does not have as many details as English-inspired examples.

The home was built for Frank and May Tharinger.

Frank’s brother Charles was an active architect in the late 1920s; however, Urban Peacock was chosen as the architect for the home.

Frank was born in 1884. He began his career in the insurance business. After his brother William died, he left that occupation to run the Tharinger Macaroni Company in Milwaukee from 1925 to 1930.

Frank also served as a director of Badger State Bank, 2102 W. Fond du Lac Ave.  The bank is now known as Seaway Bank and Trust. Among the 1907 founders of the bank was his brother William.

Frank and May, parents of fraternal twins Joan Marie and Robert, remained in the house until selling in 1960 to Charles and Eva Finn.  In 1950, Finn founded Milwaukee Ear, Nose and Throat Clinic, Ltd., among the oldest medical service corporations in the state.

The Finns were followed by Michael and Jill Hayford (1990-2010).  In addition to removing carpeting, refinishing upper-level floors, stripping wallpaper and repainting, they installed hardwood floors in the living and dining rooms.  The rooms originally had poured concrete floors finished with carpeting.

They also remodeled the kitchen, which included an addition to the east that now connects to the family room on the south.  The current owners have since completed landscaping, renovated two of the bathrooms and converted attic space for use as a playroom.

Research on this home was provided by the Wauwatosa Historical Society for its “Tudors of the Washington Highlands,” home tour conducted on October 4, 2014
Back to Map